- Water chemistry adjustment for all East African Cichlid aquariums.
- Adjusts the chemistry of purified water to approximate that of Lake Malawi to accommodate cichlids from all three of the East African Great Lakes (Malawi, Tanganyika, and Victoria).
- Does not increase alkalinity (carbonate hardness).
- Provides calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, and sulfate.
- Made in the USA.
Rift Lake Chemie Instructions
Water Chemistry Adjustment in all East African Cichlid Aquaria
- Adjusts the chemistry of purified water to approximate that of Lake Malawi, which is able to accommodate cichlids hailing from all three of the East African Great Lakes (Malawi, Tanganyika, and Victoria). Does not increase alkalinity (carbonate hardness).
- Provides the proper ratios of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, and sulfate, as dictated by limnological surveys of Lake Malawi.
- Formulated by a marine scientist.
Though the water chemistry in Lakes Victoria, Malawi, and Tanganyika is different, Rift Lake Chemie provides a good basis in which cichlids and other fishes endemic to the distinct lakes may be successfully maintained. This is because it is formulated to provide the major elements in ratios derived from extensive water analysis surveys; it is therefore possible to maintain a mixed-cichlid community with water that has been prepared with Rift Lake Chemie. This supplement does not increase alkalinity, nor does it contain minor or trace elements important to long-term health and coloration of cichlids and their allies; used as directed, Brightwell Aquatics Rift Lake dKH and CichlidCode will accomplish these tasks.
Instructions and Guidelines
Do not add this product directly to an aquarium without first diluting in water as directed.
Basic Instructions and Guidelines: Dissolve 2 grams (~½ teaspoon) of product per 20 US-gallons of aquarium water in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water; add this solution to aquarium to establish proper water chemistry and when performing water changes.
Advanced Instructions and Guidelines: Create a stock solution by dissolving 8 grams (~2 teaspoons) of Rift Lake Chemie in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water (preferably purified); each ml of stock sol’n will increase the total dissolved solids (TDS) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by ~13.7 ppm or ~0.12 dGH. [Reference: Each g of Rift Lake Chemie will increase the TDS in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 428.7 ppm.] If initial TDS in aquarium is below desired level, add stock sol’n at maximum rate of 10 ml per 20 US-gallons daily until desired TDS is attained, then dose as needed and add to purified water when performing water changes. Maintain TDS within a range of +/-20 ppm. A sensible starting point when maintaining specific rift lake biotopes is to use the following TDS guidelines: Lake Victoria: 75 - 125 ppm; Lake Malawi: 150 - 200 ppm; Lake Tanganyika: 425 - 475 ppm.
Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption.
Balanced monovalent and multivalent cation mixture with appropriate anions and trace minerals to replicate natural rift lake waters.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.