- Precision reef salt pre-mix formulation based on Brightwell Aquatics
NeoMarine Reef Salt without NaCl.
- Kalibrate provides all of the major, minor and trace minerals except NaCl.
- Economical alternative to NeoMarine Reef Salt.
- Well-suited to zoos and museum exhibits, educational and research institution systems, and private large-scale aquaria.
- Made in the USA.
NeoMarine Kalibrate Instructions
Precision Salt Pre-Mix for Reef Aquaria (user must add sodium chloride for a complete seawater mix)
- Precision reef salt PRE-MIX formulation based on Brightwell Aquatics
NeoMarine Reef Salt without the sodium chloride. The user must add sodium chloride.
- Kalibrate provides all of the major, minor and trace minerals except NaCl.
- Provides an economical alternative to complete salt blends for aquarists maintaining large marine aquarium systems without sacrificing any aspect of quality relative to NeoMarine; well-suited to zoos and museum exhibits, educational and research institution systems, and private large-scale aquaria demanding a precision
marine salt blend with consideration given to budgetary limitations.
- When mixed with appropriate amount of sodium chloride, the resultant solution presents natural seawater ratios of all major elements, as well as all non-conservative minor and trace elements.
- Requires mixing ~43 g NeoMarine Kalibrate pre-mix with ~91 g (0.2 lbs.) of non-iodized sodium chloride (user-supplied) per gallon of water to obtain a specific gravity of ~1.025 g/cm3 with a pH of ~8.30 and alkalinity of ~7.5 dKH.
- May be mixed at different ratios of Kalibrate to sodium chloride (NaCl) to alter alkalinity and concentrations of elements as desired (e.g. the ratio of Kalibrate:NaCl may be increased for enhanced concentrations of magnesium, calcium, potassium, strontium, etc., while still maintaining their relative ratios).
- May be added to inexpensive salt blends to enhance concentrations of imporant elements.
- Contains USP, ACS Reagent-grade, FCC Food grade and chemically assayed ingredients.
- Manufactured by Brightwell Aquatics in our production facility (not outsourced) under the strictest standards of quality. Every batch is lot numbered and sampled for quality control.
- Utilizes a production process that promotes particle size uniformity and a dry, homogenous salt blend.
- Formulated by a marine scientist; not composed of seawater evaporite.
The single most important contributor to success with a marine aquarium is maintaining water parameters within tolerable ranges; no amount of lighting and filtration can compensate for water that is lacking in numerous essential elements and that does not meet the criteria required for survival by marine organisms. A successful marine aquarium therefore begins with quality seawater.
Mixed as directed, Brightwell Aquatics NēoMarine Kalibrate Salt Pre-Mix creates an ideal marine environment for aquarium inhabitants by providing major elements, all non-conservative (depleted by natural chemical and biological processes) minor and trace elements, and elements known to be utilized in the production of biological pigments (biochromes) in precise natural seawater ratios. Conservative minor and trace elements are not depleted in marine environments, indicating that they are not utilized by marine life or do not take part in chemical reactions in seawater; as such, they are not necessary for the survival of aquarium inhabitants, and are not part of the NēoMarine Kalibrate formulation. NēoMarine Kalibrate is manufactured in Brightwell Aquatics’ production facility in Alabama, ensuring that we maintain absolute control over quality; it is not outsourced as many competing US-manufactured salts are. Additionally, elements are provided by individual salts (no seawater evaporite is used); this enables us to maintain a consistent formulation and appearance to the finished salt mix at all times. Ingredients are measured using an extremely accurate process, and each batch of NēoMarine Kalibrate is blended in a dry, clean environment. Our production process promotes uniformity of particle size and homogeneity throughout each container. Small batches are created and lot numbered to maintain the highest standards of quality control. NēoMarine Kalibrate utilizes ingredients of superior grades, and contains no detectable ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, or organic substances when prepared to standard specific gravity with high-purity sodium chloride. It is based on the NēoMarine formulation, which has been extensively tested over a multi-year period with 100% success on all manner of marine invertebrates, fishes, and desirable algae. NēoMarine Kalibrate is formulated for all marine organisms, not just fish or reef inhabitants.
Instructions and Guidelines
Do not mix in an aquarium containing live organisms. Do not use without mixing with sodium chloride as instructed. Do not handle with wet hands. May have a slight sulfurous odor when the container is first opened; this is a result of the use of anhydrous magnesium chloride and sulfate and will dissipate.
Each ~43 g of NēoMarine Kalibrate mixed with ~91 g of non-iodized sodium chloride (NaCl) will increase the resultant specific gravity of 1 US-gallon to ~1.025 g/cm3. It is presumed that aquarists employing this method will have access to an accurate scale with which to measure the required mass of Kalibrate and NaCl. Altering the ratio of Kalibrate:NaCl will resultantly alter the concentrations of elements provided by Kalibrate in the prepared seawater, while maintaining the relative ratios of the elements; for example, increasing the mass of Kalibrate used from 43 g to 46 g per gallon prepared will change the final magnesium, calcium, potassium, and strontium concentrations from 1,288-, 413-, 398.8-, and 7.625-ppm, respectively, to ~1,378-, ~442-, ~427-, and ~8-ppm, however it should be remembered that doing so will also decrease the total volume of water that this container will treat. It is strongly recommended that water purified via reverse osmosis and/or deionization be used for seawater preparation. Allow the freshly-made seawater to mix thoroughly with a submersible pump. Always use an accurate hydrometer or (preferably) refractometer to determine the specific gravity of prepared seawater. Ensure that the water temperature matches that of the established aquarium (use a submersible heater if necessary). Allow water to mix, preferably while being aerated, until pH and alkalinity become completely stable, indicating that gas equilibrium has been achieved. It is strongly recommended that at least 24 hours of mixing be allowed to pass before adding the water to an established aquarium. This extra time enables gas formed during the salt dissolution to escape, further stabilizing pH; elevated alkalinity at the suggested ratio of Kalibrate:NaCl is often a result of insufficient mixing time. Note that water temperature and mixing rate will influence the speed with which the salt goes into solution.
The best sources of sodium chloride are “plain” or non-iodized (Kalibrate already contains the proper amount of iodide so additional iodide which would be contributed by iodized salt is not necessary), greater than 99% purity, and do not contain anti-caking agents such as Yellow Prussiate of Soda (a.k.a. “YPS”), stabilizers such as Sodium Cyanurate, buffers, or metal detoxifiers; so-called “standard pool salts” with no additives may meet these requirements and can often be purchased in 40-lb. bags for pennies per pound. Keep in mind that FCC- or Food-grade salts will have a lower percentage of insoluble materials and elements such as calcium and magnesium per unit mass than will pool salts; USP- and ACS-grade salts are even better. For specific recommendations of sodium chloride, contact us directly.
When changing salt blends, it is recommended that no more than 5% of the total system volume is changed on a weekly basis for the first 3-months; this enables system inhabitants to gradually adjust to the changing water chemistry with minimal irritation. It is recommended that 10 - 20% of the total water volume in an aquarium system be replaced every 7 - 10 days; this helps maintain proper water chemistry and consequently benefits aquarium inhabitants.
Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption. Contact with dry product may cause skin and/or eye irritation. In case of eye contact, flush eyes with cool water and seek immediate medical attention.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.